Monday, February 26, 2007

Interview with Celia Rivenbark ..

This article got me really upset a few months back when it was published in MacLeans Jan 01, 2007 issue. The columnist and author of Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like A Skank, get an interview and half of everything she says makes me angry. Not that I'm a parent so maybe I have no right to speak against her opinion.. tooo bad I'm gonna anyway. A particular part that pissed me off was this:

" Q:... and Nelly Furtado too. What's Nelly's song, Promiscuous, I think?
Yeah, isn't that lovely?
A:I guess we're a leading exporter of skank music.
Who'd have thought. Yeah, that song will come on my daughter's favourite radio station and I'm like, "No," and I turn it off.
Q:You turn off the radio?
A:Oh yeah, when that comes on? I do. I don't think it's appropriate for a nine-year-old kid to be singing along to how promiscuous she is. I mean, I don't even know if she knows what that word means, but it's just a little early for that, you know? Of course, I'm a realist. I know when she hits 13, 14, 15 and she lives with an iPod glued to her ears, I understand that's inevitable, but she's nine, barely nine -- she doesn't need to be singing about how promiscuous she is."


Ahh,...you turn off the radio. She is totaly offering a great a lesson to her daughter. Come on, kids aren't retarded. If you were to explain how you feel the song contains a lack of morals that you want your daughter to have,(or that you feel the content of the song is innappropriate) the kid is going to understand what your saying. I think people need to be more explainitor with their children. Simply stating "NO!" is more apt to pit the child against you. It wasn't all that long ago, that I was 9! I dunno if censorship is really the solution to the problem. 9 year olds are smart and discovering the ever-fun past time of doing the opposite of what your parents tell you to do.

There is also the issue of female promescuity...I was lucky with my mother not telling me to keep it in my pants until I'm married...

More ranting about this later..

No comments: